Sunday 3 February 2013


Lou Chabot's #26 hanging in the rafters at GHC. 

Today the Tommies Men's Hockey team faced off against UdeM in a game that had a few different storylines in it.

First, today was the annual Lou Chabot memorial game, this was the nineteenth.  A game in which the Tommies celebrate the life of a fallen teammate that passed away at the young age of 22. Lou's mother was at the rink today in town from Ottawa for the game and the ceremonial puck drop. The winners of the Lou Chabot award are Matt Eagles #36, Alex Labonte #4, and Chris Morehouse #18. This leads us into the second story of the day.

Second story of the are graduating players who played their last home game as Tommies, Matt Eagles #36, Alex Labonte#4 and Chris Morehouse #18.

The Third Story, Matt Eagles, one of the graduating Tommies and former Captain of the team who was forced to stop playing due to medical reasons was dressed for today's game wearing number 22, but it was pretty easy to tell who it was, he was smiling ear to ear during the warm-up, he was smiling ear to ear during the pre-game ceremony, even smiling in the third period when defenseman Nick Brown took a Checking From Behind penalty and was given a 2 minute penalty and a 10 minute misconduct, in which Eagles served the 2 minute infraction.

The first period started with the Tommies opening up the scoring 27 seconds into the game,  Alex Labonte had the first goal assisted by Chris Morehouse and Jonathan Bonneau. UdeM lead the Tommies on shots on goal 13-10. STU held UdeM scoreless through the first period.

The second period started with UdeM scoring their first marker of the game just over a minute into the period and adding another just over 5 minutes in. UdeM lead the shots on goal 11-5.  At the end of the second period UdeM was up 2-1.

The third period started with the Tommies adding another goal at 2:55 off the stick of Alex Labonte's the goal was assisted by Yuri Cheremetiev and Stephen Sanza. This tied the game up, unfortunately this was as close the Tommies were able to get to winning the game. UdeM started to pour on the offence after this adding another four goals in the period, the last two goals in which one was scored on an empty net where Matt Hobbs was doing everything he could to keep the puck out of the net and the last one which was scored with under one second left in the game. UdeM had 10 shots on goal to STU's 7.

The final score of the game was 6-2, this marks the Tommies last home game of the season, they are on the road next weekend against UPEI on February 8, 2013 at 7pm.

Good-luck to the graduating Tommies in your future endeavours! You three have made Tommies hockey exciting to watch over the last few years.


WyldeMurph on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Adding to that third story, Eagles took the opening faceoff, won it, then went off for a line chance to end his career as a hockey player.

    After the game he said it was good to be able to leave the game on his own terms.